There are thousands of different species of plants in the world. They include a great variety ranging from minute ones that are invisible to our eyes to trees that are huge. Plants are basically the starting point of any food cycle and play an important role in the sustainability of life on earth. In order to study plants, we classify them into different categories on basis of different characteristics.
There are three types of non-flowering plants. They are:
There are two types of flowering plants. They are:
Classification Based On Morphology
Plants can be classified into three divisions based on morphology:
Classification Based On Habitat
Plant species can be classified into three different types based on their habitat. They are:
Classification Based on Nutrition
Different species of plants can be classified into two types based on nutrition. They are:
Animals have been dependent on plants for food since ancient times. The different food-producing plants produce the following food items which are essential for the sustainability of life on earth.
Examples of Cereals
- Wheat is ground into flour which is used to make roti’s, bread, cake, Pasta.
Examples of Pulses:
Examples of Vegetables:
Examples of Fruits:
- Citrus Fruits
Examples of Spices:
Examples of Beverages:
Examples of Nuts:
- Cashew Nut
- Plants are basically the starting point of any food cycle and play an important role in the sustainability of life on earth.
- Plants can be classified as a flowering or non-flowering plant.
- Plants can be classified on the basis of morphology.
- Plants can be classified on the basis of their habitat into Mesophytes, Hydrophyte, Xerophytes.
- Plants can be classified as Autotrophs and Heterotrophs.
- Plants give us cereals, pulses, vegetables, spices, fruits, spices, beverages, nuts.